Excellence in teaching and learning
- Foster effective teaching and learning as the university's primary mission.
- Enhance academic achievement by strengthening standards in teaching and learning.
- Promote liberal arts and sciences as an integral part of the general education program and many major and minor programs while providing opportunities for specialized learning at the graduate and undergraduate levels.
- Prepare students for leadership and for fulfilling careers.
- Provide knowledge of the social, intellectual, and artistic foundations of culture and history.
- Provide students with skills they need for productive and responsible living, such as creative and critical thinking, problem solving, communication, and self-understanding.
- Support a humane, effective, and equitable environment for teaching and learning.
- Impart through academic programs an appreciation of both continuity and change.
- Instill a sensitivity and respect for the values of a diverse society and multicultural world and a concern for individual worth and human rights.
- Foster an understanding of the application of technology and scientific methods.
- Develop skills necessary for critical evaluation of information, technology, and methodology.
- Provide an opportunity for international awareness including inter-relationships among economics, environment, geography, history, politics, religion, arts and foreign languages.
- Develop teaching methods, programs, and services to meet the needs of a diverse student body, including an increasing number of non-traditional students.
- Strengthen resources for active learning and opportunities for the application of knowledge.
- Acknowledge a special obligation to the citizens of Minnesota by providing access to life long learning.
- Promote and foster an understanding of the value of higher education for the purpose of creating a more informed public.
Scholarship, Creative and Artistic Endeavors and Research
- Value the complex inter-relatedness of research, teaching, and learning by supporting and recognizing scholarship which strives to discover, integrate, apply, and transmit knowledge.
- Support creative and artistic activities as a means of personal and professional development as well as a contribution to the cultural life of the community.
- Provide an environment which will attract and retain quality faculty and staff and support continuing professional development.
- Affirm academic freedom and freedom of inquiry in all of its pursuits.
Service and Collaborative Working Relationships
- Promote understanding of ethical behavior in personal, professional, and public life.
- Enhance understanding of a citizen's responsibilities to others, to society, and to the environment.
- Provide educational, cultural, and artistic opportunities for the region.
- Encourage involved citizenship at the local, state, national, and global level.
- Expand our cooperation with other colleges, universities, and K-12 institutions in the support and development of quality programs.
- Establish SCSU as the university of choice in Minnesota for students of color.
- Collaborate in the development of educational programs and research endeavors to assist the community and technical colleges, business, industry, governments, and other organizations.