Buildings and Properties
The date after each building indicates the year the building was completed and occupied.
51B Building (1968, 1993, 2008). (Formerly Business Building) Classrooms and offices for English, Intensive English Center, Ethnic Studies, Write Place, and Political Science.
Brown Hall (1958, 2009). Classrooms and faculty offices for Nursing, Communication Sciences and Disorders, and Center for Continuing Studies. Named for Joseph C. Brown, president, 1916-1927
Centennial Hall (1971, 2008). Formerly the Learning Resources Center, this building is the home of the Herberger Business School, Philosophy Department, the University's Bookstore, a Student Services Center and the Center for Information Systems.
Eastman Hall (1929). Facilities for physical education and recreation, including a gymnasium. Named for Alvah Eastman, former member of the State University Board.
Education Building (1971). Facilities for secondary, elementary and special education together with community psychology, psychology laboratories, guidance and counseling and student teaching are located in this building.
Engineering and Computing Center (1958, 1962, 1986). Classrooms, laboratories, and facilities for academic computing, engineering, mathematics and statistics, as well as the Lindgren Child Care Center.
Halenbeck Hall (1965, 1980). This facility has a natatorium with diving well and 25 meter pool, spectator gymnasium, activity balconies, locker rooms, saunas, a 200-meter, six-lane indoor track, six racquetball courts, recreation equipment check-out, exercise physiology complex, and multi purpose activity center with the capacity for six tennis courts, six volleyball courts, badminton courts, four basketball courts, and wrestling room.
Headley Hall (1962). College of Science and Engineering building with shops, laboratories, classrooms and offices plus a lecture auditorium seating 150. Named for John W. Headley, president, 1947-1951.
Kiehle Visual Arts Center (1952, 1974). Art Department studios and classrooms. Named for David L. Kiehle, president, 1875-1881.
Lawrence Hall (1905, 2003), is the oldest building on St. Cloud State University's campus. Lawrence Hall is a multipurpose building with student rooms dedicated to the upper three floors and support activities (recreation, weight and laundry rooms) on the ground floor. Faculty offices for the Foreign Language Department and International Studies Program are on the first and ground floors. Both Hall Residents and Department/Curriculum share the ground floor Hall Lounge, Kitchen, Study and Computer Rooms. Named for Isabel Lawrence, president 1915-1916.
National Hockey and Event Center (1989). Facility providing two Olympic size hockey rinks for instruction, recreation and intercollegiate athletics.
Performing Arts Center (1968). Music and theatre classrooms and offices, with a main theatre seating 450, a studio theatre and recital hall seating 300, rehearsal hall, and private practice studios.
Riverview Building (1911). National Register structure with classrooms and the Office for Communication Studies.
Robert H. Wick Science Building (1972, 2008). This four-story structure includes, in addition to classrooms and laboratories, a planetarium, museum, green house, observatory, aquarium, meteorology laboratory and high energy linear accelerator for nuclear research. It is connected to Brown Hall by a 2-level skyway.
Stewart Hall (1948, 1976, 1988-1990). Classrooms, offices, student media, TV studio, radio station and auditorium seating 1,000. Named for Warren H. Stewart, State University Board member, 1938-1948.
801 Building (1988, 2006). This is a 12,000 square foot facility made available in the spring of 2006 as the temporary home for various offices.
Benton Hall (1967, 1968). Suite style residence for 288 students. Named for Benton County.
Case Hall (1964). Residence hall for 181 men. Named for Marie E. Case, former faculty member.
Hill Hall (1962). Residence hall for 147 women and Student Health Services facility. Named for Helen Hill, former faculty member.
Holes Hall (1965). First high-rise with nine stories, housing 389 students. Named for W.W. Holes, former member of the State University Board.
Mitchell Hall (1957, 1958). Residence hall for 462 students. Named for W.B. Mitchell, former resident director.
Sherburne Hall (1969). Tallest building on campus, housing 525 students. Named for Sherburne County.
Shoemaker Hall (1915, 1960). Residence hall for 463 students. Named for Waite A. Shoemaker, president, 1902-1916.
Stateview Apartments (2002). There are two buildings, three stories each, with twelve four bedroom apartments in each. Both buildings house a total of 96 students.
Stearns Hall (1966). Companion building to Holes Hall housing 391 students. Named for Stearns County.
Coborn's Plaza Apartments (2010). Privately funded partnership constructed two apartment buildings for 455 men and women in apartment style accommodations. Residential Life manages the day to day operations of the facility.
Beaver Islands. A group of islands in the Mississippi River adjacent to the campus used for the study of plant and animal life. Named by Zebulon Pike, who explored the area in 1805.
George W. Friedrich Park. This 50-acre tract one mile east of the campus contains granite quarry ponds and extensive pine plantings used for nature study. Named for George W. Friedrich, former faculty member.
Minnesota Highway Safety and Research Center. Designed by the Minnesota Department of Highways, this facility is used to teach emergency driving techniques and for vehicle testing and research. It is located on a portion of 655 acres of state land placed in the custody of the university in 1970. The remainder of the property, adjoining Highway 10 east of the Minnesota Correctional Facility, is managed by the Minnesota DNR in cooperation with the University as the Sand Prairie Wildlife Management Area.
Selke Field (1939, 1982). Recreation fields and intercollegiate softball diamond, enclosed by a granite wall. Named for George A. Selke, president, 1927-1943.
Talahi Woods. This upper river terrace area is being preserved as an oak savannah and is the site of an active archeological dig of early Native American settlement.
Administrative Services Building (1975). Offices for the President, Administrative Affairs, Academic Affairs, and University Communications are housed in this building, located at the west entrance to the campus.
Alumni and Foundation Center (1973). Formerly a private residence acquired by the university in 1973, this facility is used to provide services to alumni and as offices for Alumni and Foundation.
American Indian Center (1993). This facility, formerly a private residence, serves as the cultural and academic support center for Native American students and faculty.
Atwood Memorial Center (1966, 1972, 1992, 2004). This building houses dining and recreation facilities and meeting rooms for students and faculty and was named for the Clarence L. Atwood family.
Ervin House (1946). Originally a private home, then a women's residence hall, this building now contains the student housing office.
Garvey Commons (1962, 1965, 1987). This building consists of four dining rooms with cafeteria service seating 1300 at one time. It was named for Beth Porter Garvey, first dean of women.
Husky Hub (2000). This is an 1198 GSF building which serves as a bus stop; it also has two restrooms, waiting area and contains vending machines. The facility is located on 3rd Avenue South in the center of "K" parking lot.
Husky Stadium (2004). This 4,500 seat multipurpose stadium with a synthetic grass field, is used for football, soccer, lacrosse, jogging, softball, and other recreational and sporting activities. During the winter months, this field has the second largest freestanding inflatable dome in the five state area.
Facilities Management Building I (1964), attached to the heating plant, and Maintenance Management Building II (1980), which contains the maintenance office. These buildings provide shops, warehouse and vehicle storage for the campus.
James W. Miller Learning Resources Center (2000). This state-of-the-art facility houses all materials and services usually found in a library, but also includes the campus' academic technology services. The building includes hundreds of computers, high tech auditorium, seven electronic classrooms, sixteen student study rooms, and a coffee shop. The building was named for a donor to the university's capital campaign.
Public Safety Center (2008). 526 Fourth Avenue South. Public Safety Offices, 24 hour Operations and Dispatch Center.
Richard Green House (2008). 827 Fourth Avenue South. It houses a portion of the Multicultural Academic Support Center. This facility was formerly a private residence.
South Office Center (2008). A former private residence housing the Faculty Association Office and the CARE Initiative.
Student Recreation Center (2004). This facility houses 2 aerobic studios, a martial arts center, a 30 foot rock climbing wall, a 10,000 square foot fitness center with a wide variety of fitness equipment, a massage studio, an outdoor resource center with a wide range of equipment for rent, a lounge, coffee shop and a computer center.
4th Avenue Parking Ramp (2008). This facility at 516 Fourth Avenue South accommodates 500 vehicles. It is used for event parking, visitor parking, and student overnight parking by permit and is connected to the Public Safety Building.
Whitney House (1956). A former residence now used for College of Social Science and psychology department offices, this building was a gift to the university from the heirs of A. G. Whitney.
Women's Center (1990). This facility, formerly a private residence, houses the Women's Center.