Admitted Graduate Student Registration
Once admitted to the School of Graduate Studies, students will wish to review complete registration instructions and registration times in the current semester class schedule. Admitted graduate students receive priority registration times.
An on-line class schedule is available approximately four to five months before the semester commences. A printed class schedule will no longer be available.
When a student, with a faculty advisor, has identified appropriate courses, the student may self-initiate the registration process. SCSU offers registration instructions on-line at www.stcloudstate.edu/registrar.
Accessing an Advisor
Speak with a faculty advisor before you register. Admitted students are informed
of his/her advisor's name and contact information in their admission letter.
Additionally, admitted students should have received a program form providing an
overview of their program's requirements.
It is the student's responsibility to contact the advisor prior to the start of the semester for consultation on appropriate course selection. Students will find a program form helpful for initial planning. An advisor may be contacted by telephone, E-mail, or written correspondence. If an advisor is unavailable due to summer break, holidays, etc., it may be beneficial to request assistance from the department chairperson or another professor in the department.
Online Application Form (Records and Registration)
This registration classification is for students who do not intend to pursue a graduate program at this institution or who wish to register for course work prior to their formal acceptance into a graduate program. SCSU welcomes working professionals, visiting graduate students, and non-admitted students to meet their educational needs at SCSU.
Individuals with a baccalaureate or higher degree wishing to enroll in graduate course work may register for unrestricted 500 and 600-level graduate course work. Please fill out a special student form with the Office of Records and Registration. Students are not required to submit credentials or transcripts.
- The graduate special student registration is designed for those seeking professional or personal development or personal enrichment.
- Visiting graduate students may also use the graduate special student registration category.
- The graduate special student registration category is additionally designed for School of Graduate Studies' applicants who may have been delayed admission through incomplete application files, or have been denied graduate admission on their first review. Students may enroll in graduate course work through completion of a special student registration form.
- International students who have not participated in SCSU's international orientation cannot use the graduate special student registration opportunity.
Students will be allowed to register for up to 16 graduate credits in spring semester and fall semester. In the summer a student may register for a maximum of 15 credits. Please understand that some of SCSU's graduate programs must restrict access to course work to admitted students only. Admitted students also have priority registration dates.
Graduate special students are not admitted to SCSU, the School of Graduate Studies, nor our programs or departments, and are thus ineligible for any financial aid, graduate assistantships, or scholarships offered by SCSU. Faculty advisors are not assigned to graduate special students. All special students who register for graduate credit are subject to the academic regulations and policies contained in the graduate bulletin.
The credits earned as a graduate special student are not guaranteed to be used within a degree program should the student decide to seek admission at a later date. It will be at the department's discretion at the time of admission to decide on the use of your graduate special student credits. Generally, a maximum of six semester credits may be applied toward a degree program with the approval of the department and the dean of graduate studies. Students cannot complete any graduate degree program through this registration category.
Undergraduate students may petition to enroll in graduate courses at the 500 level if they:
- Are in their last semester,
- Possess a 2.75 or higher GPA, and
- Have eight or fewer semester credits to complete for baccalaureate graduation from St. Cloud State University.
To register, complete a Graduate Permission Form (PDF), available from the School of Graduate Studies in AS 121. Please keep in mind:
- The maximum load permitted is 16 semester credits of undergraduate and 500-level graduate credit combined,
- Courses numbered 600 to 699 are open only to graduate students,
- Approval of the petition form is based on the potential admissibility of the student to the graduate program, and
- Graduate courses completed prior to receiving the undergraduate degree cannot be used toward the undergraduate degree.
Continuing Studies Registration
A continuing studies course schedule is available online at the Center for Continuing Studies Web site at www.stcloudstate.edu/continuingstudies. Contact the Center for Continuing Studies at 320.308.3081 or via E-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Students may register to audit courses by enrolling for no credit. If a student is auditing a class, her or she should register for the class using online registration and choose the audit grading method. Students have until the fifth instructional day of the term to choose if they wish to audit a course. After the fifth instructional day, written permission from the School of Graduate Studies Dean is required and must be processed in the Office of Records and Registration, AS 117.
Auditors are not permitted to take the course examination. Audit courses do not satisfy program requirements, are not used in determining the grade point average, and cannot be applied to a degree. Students wishing to audit a course must pay the regular tuition and fee costs.