Academic Admission Requirements for U.S. Citizens
School of Graduate Studies - Admission Criteria
An applicant must meet ONE of the following Grade Point Average (GPA) standards to be eligible for academic admission consideration to the School of Graduate Studies:
- Possess at least an overall 2.75 GPA (4.0 scale) in your previous undergraduate and graduate records.
- Possess at least an overall 2.75 GPA (4.0 scale) in the last half of your undergraduate work.
Program - Admission Criteria
An applicant must additionally meet specific program criteria to be eligible for admission consideration.
- Please consult your academic program's Web pages to determine if you need to submit official GRE or GMAT scores or additional application items.
- Many graduate programs require additional admission criteria and application materials.
- It is imperative that you visit your program's requirements that are detailed at the beginning of each program description.
Application Materials Required for U.S. Citizens
Undergraduate Degree Requirement for Graduate Education
- You must have earned and have a transcripted undergraduate degree before you begin graduate coursework.
- If you earned your undergraduate degree in the USA your undergraduate degree must have been received from an institution that is accredited by a US regional accreditation body. There are six regional accreditation bodies:
- Middle States – MSA
- New England – NEASCSC
- North Central – NCA
- Northwest – NW
- Southern – SACS
- Western - WASC
- If you earned your undergraduate degree in Canada your undergraduate degree must have been received from an institution that has received a provincial charter to grant degrees. Generally these Canadian institutions are also members of AUCC.
- If you attended an institution outside of North America, your undergraduate degree must be recognized by the Ministry of Education in the country in which it was earned.
- Additionally, your undergraduate degree must be accepted by SCSU as the equivalent of a US bachelor's degree.
- A determination is made when your international transcripts are reviewed by a transcript evaluation agency.