English Proficiency Requirements for Admission
An English proficiency test is required of international applicants whose native language is not English. There are two exceptions:
- Applicants who hold a baccalaureate degree with a 2.75 (cumulative) GPA or higher, from a university in the United States, Canada or from a country whose sole official language is English, will be exempt from having to submit an English proficiency test score.
- International students who have completed SCSU's Intensive English Center Level 5 program will be exempt.
For all other international applicants, SCSU requires that one of the following language admission requirements be met:
- A Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score of 79 or higher on the Internet-based exam with no subscore below 17, or a score of 550 or higher on the paper-based exam.
- A score of 6.5 or higher on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).
- Graduation from a university in the United States, Canada or a country whose sole official language is English, with a 2.75 cumulative GPA or higher.
Successful completion of the Intensive English Center Level 5 program at SCSU. Access the Intensive English Center at www.stcloudstate.edu/iec.
English Placement Examination Requirements upon Arrival for Graduate Students
For details visit www.stcloudstate.edu/esl.
The majority of international students seeking admission to SCSU will take the iBT (internet-based) TOEFL examination.
What is the TOEFL?
The Test of English as a Foreign Language is an English proficiency testing service for international students planning to study in the United States, Canada, or other countries where English is the language of instruction.
What Skills Does the TOEFL Measure?
- Listening: measures ability to comprehend spoken North American English.
- Reading: measures ability to read and understand short passages.
- Speaking: measures the ability to speak English.
- Writing: measures ability to write in English. You are given 30 minutes to compose one required essay on an assigned topic. Writing focuses on the command of English vocabulary, grammar, spelling, and syntax, all fundamental writing skills.
Most of the questions are multiple-choice. However, there are questions that require selecting a visual (or part of a visual), answering questions with more than one response, ordering items, and matching objects or text to categories.
Schedule an Appointment
The TOEFL examination is offered at test centers and institutional testing sites throughout the world. For a site near you, visit www.toefl.org. Appointments are available throughout the year but centers fill quickly, so it is best to schedule your appointment early. You may take the TOEFL test more than once per calendar month.
Cost: $170 U.S. dollars, but can vary by country.
For testing in the United States, Canada, and U.S. territories
- Visit www.toefl.org
- SCSU hosts a test center on our campus. Call 320.308.5456, or email email@example.com
For testing elsewhere
To assure your TOEFL scores are sent to SCSU, list the SCSU code: 6679.
IELTS --- an Alternative to the TOEFL
As an alternative to the TOEFL, students have the option of taking the IELTS (International English Testing System) to fulfill the University's language admission requirements.
What is the IELTS?
IELTS (International English Testing System) is internationally available, internationally recognized, internationally focused and internationally owned. It opens doors for you to more than 6000 educational institutions across 120 countries which recognize IELTS scores as a trusted and valid indicator of ability to communicate in English. In every sense, IELTS is a truly global test which can take you where you want to go. Please visit: www.ielts.org
How can I prepare?
Schedule an Appointment
You can take IELTS in over 300 locations throughout the world, up to four times a month, making it one of the most widely available English language tests in the world. You can choose an Academic or General Training module so the test fits your purpose, whether it is for study, migration or employment. You must apply to a test center to take an IELTS test prior to the test date. The SCSU Testing Center does not offer the IELTS examination. Applications are made on an IELTS Application Form which you can send or take into a test center, along with the test fee, two passport sized photographs, and a photocopy of your passport/national identity card. You will also need to include your passport number, or in some circumstances a national identity card number, on the application form – check with your test center. Once you have applied, the test centre will confirm your IELTS test date and time. On the test day, make sure you bring the same evidence of identity as the number entered on the Application Form.
Cost: $185 U.S. dollars, but can vary by country.
Test day advice
After the test (Results)
IELTS results are available 13 days after taking the test. You can have five complimentary copies of your Test Report Form sent to the institutions you named on your Application Form*. IELTS uses a unique nine point scoring system to measure and report test scores in a consistent manner – wherever and whenever the test is taken. This scoring system is internationally recognized and understood, giving you a reliable international currency.